Keeping your roof fresh with washing
That roof on your commercial building wasn’t cheap was it? One of the recommendations by the contractor and the research you have done advised getting a roof washing on a regular basis, but you’re not sure what is roof washing anyway?
Is there a difference between Roof cleaning and roof washing? While the two terms used to describe a in a broad sense the same thing, they don’t necessarily mean the same thing. Roof cleaning is performed on roofs that have had regular cleaning and maintenance, whereas roof washing is for a roof that has algae, mildew, mold, and moss to be removed, aka, it takes more time.
How often should you clean your roof?
Roof cleaning or roof washing is key to keeping your business looking professional and welcoming from the outside. When your building and the surrounding area look good and maintained, it is the first impression of clients and visitors. So, how often should you have a roof cleaning or roof washing service performed?
Yes, it is true that a flat roof on a commercial structure can’t be seen from the ground, however, when it is not washed on a routine, the dirt and grime will flow over in the rain and run down the walls. The algae, debris, mildew, and mold are left up there eating away at the surface, destroying that expensive roof coating, setting up your roof for cracks, damages, and leaks.
A regular schedule for roof washing every six months is recommended by experts in this industry, no less than once a year. Buy keeping your roof clean, you are extending the lifespan and avoiding costly repairs and replacement.
Does cleaning your roof damage it?
It can if not done correctly. A certified professional power washing company with experience in commercial roofing is the best company to hire. Their experience and understanding of water reclamation, they will know at what power to use for your structures roof washing, because using a too strong of a power can do more harm than good.
Is it good to powerwash your roof?
There are several benefits of roof washing for a commercial structure. The high pressure blasts of water will not only clean the surface, but the addition of heated water improves the washing effect that removes the algae, mildew, and mold, along with other debris that has been dropped off by birds, critters, and winds. Other benefits for having your commercial structure roof professionally cleaned are:
- Improve and Maintain Curb Appeal: Keeping the curb appeal of your business in clean condition never hurts. A regular roof washing and pressure washing the exterior walls and walkways, as well as the parking lot by professional service will improve the value, and your building bill looks appealing and welcoming.
- Prevent Repairs and Replacement: With routine roof washing by a professional, the algae, bird and critter droppings, dirt build up, mildew, and mold growth are removed. When left to sit there, they begin to eat and wear away the roof coating and materials underneath.
- Provide Healthier Environment: Pressure washing the building with roof cleaning on a regular basis will make the work environment healthier for your employees and clients. Harmful substances like algae, dirt, dust, mildew, pollen, and pollutants can have negative health consequences. People with allergies will have an easier time breathing with these substances cleaned away.
- Building Value Increased: If you are considering selling your commercial property, a professional roof cleaning and exterior power washing will make your building more appealing to potential buyers, more desirable to want to conduct their business in the structure.
How do I clean my roof myself?
There isn’t anything better than a professional roof washing, how to do it right with the proper equipment and supplies. However, if the budget can’t afford an outside service, or you want to do a roof cleaning in between your scheduled cleaning, the following are basic guidelines:
- Using a power washer on the lowest pressure setting, 2,000 PSI.
- Apply a mild, cleaning solution that is non-abrasive and a long handled, soft-bristled brush, going over the entire surface firm but gentle.
- With the same 2,000 psi setting on the power washer, rinse the cleaner and dirt from the roofing surface.
What is the best roof cleaning product?
This is another reason for using a professional roof cleaning service is better. They know exactly what type of cleaning product is safe for which roof coatings. For a roof with an asphalt roof coating, experts recommend a mix of sodium hypochlorite, aka pool chlorine, of household strength with plain water. This will remove the algae, mildew, mold, and other substances safely without damaging your roof.
While a professional roof cleaning may seem like a frivolous expense, at the end of the day, when it is all done, you’ll have pride in your building. Gleaming from top to bottom and all around, with a professional roof cleaning and power washing of the exterior. Even in the business world, having the best-looking structure on the block is important! Call 469-562-1990 today for roof washing in Richardson, TX.